MAC Smoke Signals: A Product Review





















This has long been overdue, so I will try to make it as in-depth as possible. My thoughts on each product are after each official description. I also re-posted all product images and swatches so one does not need to click links just to see the pictures, thus ensuring a more comprehensive impression of the products.

I was pleasantly surprised with this collection. I thought that I would have a hard time wearing the dark shadows that announce the advent of fall, but the convenient quads made it possible to mix and match colors for a smoky eye look. I am still a novice when it comes to smoky eyes, but the quads made coming up with a decent smoked look a little bit easier. As I said in a previous entry, though, the most breathtaking part of this collection was not the shadows but the kohl power pencils. I love the buttery soft glide, the amazing marriage of black and other gorgeous colors, and the great staying power. I bought a back-up of Feline because I think I will be consuming this in no time. I just love this black-as-death liner (NOTE: Feline is part of the Blue Storm collection that was launched together with Smoke Signals). I also said that I didn't care much for the lip and cheek products in this collection, but I was wrong as well. I have found a great contour blush in this collection, as well as some very beautiful lip products to go with the eye look of the season.

Inspiration
"The whole feeling of Smoke Signals is really all about the seductive nature of Makeup. This collection brings to mind the feeling of sitting in a club, listening to great music, with smoke all around you and the intrigue and glamour that it evokes. There is definitely a smoky eye going on that is forever a classic, paired with a wonderful kind of neutral, fleshy mouth."
- James Gager, Senior Vice President Creative Director

Lipstick
Brew - Creamy beige (lustre) (My take: a nice bare-lip color that would go best with the smokiest eyes; unfortunately I look too washed-out with this color. I need to pair it with a dark liner or lipglass to infuse more color and make me look un-dead).

Barely Lit - Pink sand with gold pearl (lustre) (My take: now that's more like it! If I use a real smoky eye look, I'd go for this one for a neutral lip look. It appears champagne-colored on my lips, and pretty when paired with a neutral-colored lipglass for a luscious look).

Sparks Can Fly - Creamy Rose (frost) (My take: it's a little darker than Barely Lit on my pigmented lips, and it's great when paired with neutral eyes as well).

Mellow Flame - Warm coral pink with red pearl (lustre) (My take: hands-down my favorite among the lipsticks in this collection. It looks a very pretty coral-pink on my lips, and complements my skintone quite well. It doesn't make me look washed-out or dead, nor does it look too dark.)

Burnin' - Rich wine (amplified) (My take: looks scary dark in the tube, but if you love dramatic lips, this one's for you. I can imagine whipping up a romantic, timeless look with this lipstick. Strong and feminine at the same time.)

Lipglass
Illicit - Creamy neutral pink (cream) (My take: I wasn't used to a cream lipglass, so I was a little surprised when I swatched it and it ended up like a liquid lipstick which is opaque. It's not sheer, but it would make a pretty lipgloss for a neutral lip look).

Soft & Slow - Soft rose with gold pearl (cream) (not in pics) (My take: a pretty, creamy rose lipgloss; not that unique, but if you like a pretty rose to use by itself or on top of lipsticks, you should consider this).

Bare Truth - Warm caramel (not in pics) (My take: I love the warmth of this color, and since I like beiges, this is one pretty lipglass for me.)

Bazaarish - Burgundy with pearl (frost) (My take: ahhh, looks scary in the tube, but is a beautiful fall lip color. Since it's not a solid lipstick, it slowly fades and leaves a beautiful berry-ish stain on my lips.)

Eye Shadow x4
Gentle Fume Eyes:4
Rondelle - Light silver with white pearl (matte) (My take: one of the very few highlighters that I have that are matte. A welcome change indeed.)

Carbon - Intense black (matte) (My take: I have always wanted to have Carbon in my stash. It's part of the permanent collection of MAC, and this just completes any smoky eye look. You can't go without this if you want to go for a black smoky eye.)

Gentle Fume - cool midtone grey with silver sparkle (velvet) (My take: this is a re-promote of the Gentle Fume eyeshadow from last year's Holiday Smoked Eyes palette, and it's a great color for blending with the darker colors in the palette to create depth and dimension. One of my favorite colors in the quad.)

Waft - deep blue grey (matte) (My take: I love how most of the shadows in this quad are mostly matte. It perfectly makes sense because a shiny, shimmery dark eye is just a bit tacky to me. This is a pretty grey that is also nice when paired with Cumulus from the Blue Storm collection.)

Smoking Eyes x 4:
Next to Nothing - creamy white with pink pearl (frost) (My take: I love the color of this highlighter, the softness balances the harsh colors of the darker shadows).

Satin Taupe - taupe brown with silvery bronze shimmer (frost) (My take: this is the most interesting, gorgeous, and unique color in this quad. I already have Satin Taupe but this is a color worth getting. It's amazing on every neutral eye look, and gorgeous when paired with darker colors as well. Very versatile, can be worn in a conservative office setting and it would look fab on nights out, as well.)

Showstopper - light muted grey (matte) (My take: Eh. Didn't care very much about this. Not unique at all, but it complements the other colors in this quad, and can be used as a blender color).

Smoking - black with gold (velvet) (My take: Now this is pretty. I would love to try a look that would make the gold pearl stand out. A fun but dramatic color.)

Kohl Power:
Orpheus - Intense black with gold (frost) (My take: LOVE IT!!! a beautiful marriage of black and gold, I wish I had ten of these!)

Raven - Intense black with red pearl (frost) (My take: another winner. I use this with my neutrals and browns and it just blends with the whole look and yet ironically, it stands out as well.)

Powder blush
:
Ablaze- Deep dirty coraly rose (My take: I love the "dirty" description, because it is aptly described. It's not as bright so it won't look garish at all. It looks best when paired with Emote.)

Emote - Grey brown (matte) (My take: a beautiful contour color. It's not too dark so the contour effect is very subtle, and I like subtle effects. I am using this everyday as my contour blush and I am very satisfied with it).

Pigment:
Silver Fog - Metallic midtone dirty silver (My take: this would look great on inner corners of the eyes or to line the lower lashline. Very bright and sparkly.)

Dark Soul - Charcoal black smudged with gold (My take: too dark in the jar, but would be great as a liner or outer V/crease color. Thankfully, not as frosty as Silver Fog.)

Smoke Signal - Rusty deep maroon (My take: my favorite of the three. Darker version of Cranberry shadow, richer and more matte - I think - than Maroon pigment. Beautiful for a plummy smoky eye.)

Nail Lacquer:
Wildfire - Black with red pearl (cream) (My take: love this color. It's a plum-like polish with shimmer, very pretty on the tips and prettier on the toes.)

Nocturnelle - Rich black (cream) (My take: need I say more? My toes are sporting this right now, and I think they like it):

1 comment

Anonymous said...

When/where does this collection come out? It's gorgeous!