MAC For Fafi Swatches and Review







I took these swatches during the launch of the collection yesterday at my local MAC free-standing store. I didn't have any control of the lighting conditions, of course, so please pardon the quality of the pictures. As a whole, let me say that I wasn't overly impressed with this collection as I was with the N and Originals collections. The collection colors and the Fafinettes are alluring, but some of the colors are just not me. That said, however, I fell in love with some of the lip products and the paint pots. I am such a sucker for paint pots as I love layering my shadows and pigments over them to add depth, dimension and pure color to my eye look, not to mention that these paint pots make fabulous eyeshadow primers as well. I am still considering if I should get them though as I have a TON of paint pots, and I love each and every one of them. Cash Flow really beckoned me, though. It's like the paint pot version of Uppity fluidline, albeit just a tad darker and it has green undertones. I wasn't able to take swatches of the iridescent powders as they didn't show up that much on my skin when I tried them. Oh yes they are pretty, but for some reason the colors were pretty hard to capture on camera.


EDIT: Layin' Low should read Perky












I like the lip products, High Top lipstick most of all. It has a very sheer but buildable purplish duo chrome sheen to it that I can't describe, and it's very pretty on my lips. The cult fave, Fun N Sexy, didn't excite me at all. One look and I just had a feeling it would look off-tangent on my skintone.

All in all, Fafi is a very pretty collection filled with a cornucopia of vibrant but surprisingly sweet colors, not to mention that the collection concept itself is a visual feast. This collection would appeal more to the younger set, in my opinion, except for some of the lip products, the neutral quad and the alluring paint pots that have univeral appeal. I have great respect for the creative team because the concept is really fresh, especially since I believe Japanese anime has not yet entered the American mainstream. This is the perfect medium to bring the asian cutting edge fashion and radical art expression to other parts of the world. Fafi may be a French artist, but she is strongly influenced by Japanimation and the asian fashion scene. The collaboration of different cultures and trends from different parts of the globe gives credence to and affirms MAC's motto of "All Ages, All Races and All Sexes". If only for this, I am sure the Fafi collection will be one of the more memorable collections MAC has come up with.

4 comments

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

I am a paint pot whore! Lol. I was thinking the same thing about Cash Flow today when I was using it. Brought back Uppity memories.

Beautiful Monyet said...

o my goshh...
those are lovely!

Douchebaguette said...

The Perky paint pot is the coral pink one, did the swatch not get included or just mislabeled?
I actually am really enjoying my fascination pencil. This is the most awake I've looked in days!

The Shades Of U said...

Mrs. Lynne- I'm sure Cash Flow would look gorgeous with your brown eyes!

hayden- I agree - especially the PPots and the cute packaging!

douchebaguette- you're right, my bad. Layin' Low was still tightly screwed shut so I wasn't able to swatch it. I have Fascinating and but I keep forgetting to use it, thanks for the heads-up, and yes it does make one look more awake.