My New MAC Brushes

Here are some products I'd accumulated in the past week or so. Lately I've been really bent on acquiring MAC brushes because even though the prices are prohibitive, excellent brushes are an investment if one is really serious in makeup application, and MAC really does have an excellent line of brushes. Don't get me wrong, I still love my budget brushes like Sonia Kashuk or Essence of Beauty, but they don't carry all the brushes that MAC has, and I really was curious to own these MAC brushes so I can compare them to the other brands that I already have.





These brushes are pure love. Seriously. First of all, I bought my first 242 a little over a month ago, and I was blown away by how good it packs on loose pigments for application on the lid. Since I am a MAC pigment or mineral eyeshadow lover, I was wondering how I had lived without this brush for so long. I loved it so much that I got another brand-new 242 from a swap recently. Now I have a backup just in case the other one is dirty or I needed another one to apply a different shade. You can also use the tip of the head to apply color on the lower lashline, or to "cut the crease", so to speak. This is such a versatile little brush. It is best used when I foil my pigments or mineral eyeshadows, as it packs on color evenly with a beautiful finish. I can't rave enough.

The 252 is its big sister and I love it as much as the 242. I used it this morning to pack a wash of color on the lids as I was running out of time, and oh wow, it covered substantial lid space in half the time. It really cut my eyeshadow application time in half (the lazy or late girl's dream brush!), and the fact that it has the same soft bristles as the 242 just makes it all the more precious because it really packs on pigment. I said that it has "soft" bristles because, indeed, the hairs are super soft, amazingly dense and don't shed. The short-handled 252SE that is part of the holiday brush collection is, I'm sorry to say, a piece of trash compared to the full-size 252. The 252SE was scratchy and would really hurt when I used it on my lids. Throw it in the garbage bin, and do yourself a favor and buy the full-size 252. You will thank me for it. :)

Finally, oh gosh, the 136. I've been eyeing this for the longest time but the price was nothing short of prohibitive. It retailed for $62. I stumbled on it when I went to the cosmetic company outlet in Cabazon last weekend. It was priced at $43.50 - still exorbitant, but almost twenty dollars cheaper than the retail price - but I almost left without it because I told myself I didn't need it. I then went back and bought it because I knew I wouldn't be able to get it at that price, and it's not even on the MAC website anymore as I write. It is unbelievably soft and it has a flat-shaped head. Even the ferrule is flattened, if you notice in the pictures. The flat, paddle-shaped, soft head makes it so easy to apply a beautiful sheer wash of blush on the cheeks. I like flat heads for blush brushes (like Aromaleigh's duo fiber blush brush or Japonesque blush brush) because the blush doesn't end up splotchy or garish on the cheeks. These flat-heads deposit the sheerest whisper of color on the cheeks, and that means you can build the intensity of your blush. No wonder this brush has been much-raved about in blogs and on YouTube, and even on makeup forums, nevermind the exorbitant price. I am glad I got it at a cheaper price, and it was worth the wait.

3 comments

AskMeWhats said...

oh girl, i've been lemming for mac 242 brush and now you blogged about it, I told myself this is definitely to buy!

The Shades Of U said...

Get it Nikki; if you like shadows this one is a must-have.

SearchingWellness said...

I sooooo envy you! I just bought brushes but they are nowhere the price of Mac you snagged.